Monday, November 15, 2010
(Pigeon Forge, TN) SGMA- Marion B. Snider, 96, was born in Collin County in 1914, but had moved into Dallas in 1934 so that he could attend one of the Stamps-Baxter music classes. The classes were held over the old Oak Cliff Drug Store located at Jefferson Blvd, and Beckley Ave. These classes were known as the Mid- Winter Normal Singing School which was an advanced class for music teachers.
Mr. Snider had made a trip out to the West Texas plains in 1936 to teach piano lessons. He and some of his friends were having lunch under an old oak tree near Lubbock when the Western Union messenger rode his bicycle up and handed him a telegram which requested that he come to Dallas and appear on KRLD Radio as the pianist for the original Stamps Quartet.
This group made its debut appearance in Dallas during the 1936 Texas Centennial celebration at the Texas State Fair where they broadcast two programs each day. The quartet was so popular that it became the first gospel quartet to have a daily radio show. During this time the quartet received as many as 5,000 fan letters per day.
He studied piano under the direction of Freddy Martin, an adopted son of gospel music legend V.O. Stamps and a member of the Cass County Boys, the band for Western movie star Gene Autry.
Snider organized the Imperial Quartet in 1946, which was featured five times a week on Texas Quality Network. He then produced, emceed and played piano for the "Songs of Inspiration" television show in Dallas. During this period he also emceed W.B. Nowlin's "Battle of Songs" presentations in Forth Worth, TX. He also composed the popular song I've Got The Corner Turned Down recorded by Hovie Lister and the Statesmen Quartet.
Mr. Snider was the last living member of the original Stamps Quartet. He was inducted into the Southern Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2003 and was the oldest living member until his death November 14th.
A memorial service is scheduled for next week in Dallas, TX. Cards may be sent to the family at 6725 Del Norte Lane - Dallas, TX 75225.