Marion B. Snider Passes Away At 96
Monday, November 15, 2010
(Pigeon Forge, TN) SGMA- Marion B. Snider,
96, was born in Collin County in 1914, but had moved into Dallas in 1934 so
that he could attend one of the Stamps-Baxter music classes. The classes were held
over the old Oak Cliff Drug Store located at Jefferson Blvd, and Beckley Ave.
These classes were known as the Mid- Winter Normal Singing School which was an
advanced class for music teachers.
had made a trip out to the West Texas plains in 1936 to teach piano lessons. He
and some of his friends were having lunch under an old oak tree near Lubbock
when the Western Union messenger rode his bicycle up and handed him a telegram
which requested that he come to Dallas and appear on KRLD Radio as the pianist
for the original Stamps Quartet.
made its debut appearance in Dallas during the 1936 Texas Centennial
celebration at the Texas State Fair where they broadcast two programs each day.
The quartet was so popular that it became the first gospel quartet to have a
daily radio show. During this time the quartet received as many as 5,000 fan
letters per day.
studied piano under the direction of Freddy Martin, an adopted son of gospel
music legend V.O. Stamps and a member of the Cass County Boys, the band for
Western movie star Gene Autry.
organized the Imperial Quartet in 1946, which was featured five times a week on
Texas Quality Network. He then produced, emceed and played piano for the
"Songs of Inspiration" television show in Dallas. During this period
he also emceed W.B. Nowlin's "Battle of Songs" presentations in Forth
Worth, TX. He also composed the popular song I've Got The Corner Turned Down
recorded by Hovie Lister and the Statesmen Quartet.
was the last living member of the original Stamps Quartet. He was inducted into
the Southern Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2003 and was the oldest living member
until his death November 14th.
service is scheduled for next week in Dallas, TX. Cards may be sent to the
family at 6725 Del Norte Lane - Dallas, TX 75225.